Monday, November 3, 2008

Amazing Sunday

Today was one of the most amazing days of my life. I went to one of the African churches to speak in their Sango speaking service. You see, I don’t know French but I am very fluent in Sango! Really, my interpreter was the Presidente of the ministerium here in Africa. He is the one who sent me the original e-mail inviting me to come. He is a kind gentleman and has a lot more responsibilities than I do. He travels to all their districts, and even though Africa is about the size of Texas, his travels are extensive and, you ought to see the roads.

The service was wonderful. We waited outside for the French service to end. At some point they said let’s go in and I dutifully followed. The church was almost full when we went in so I am not sure when the French left and the others came in. Now, if you think the worship wars are a problem in the states I should bring home their“worship band.” It consisted of two rhythm guitars, a bass guitar, a synthesizer and a drum. They could play some of the best mamba music you’ve ever heard. And sing, these believers put us Americans to shame. They clearly love to lift their voices in praise. They had a youth choir of about 30-35 and their volume was more than the combined volume of people in my church.

During the middle of the service they took the offering. They had several bags and they would lift them up and the people connected to that bag would come and give their offering. As they came they were almost in a dance. I think I saw for the first time what it meant to give joyfully to the Lord. There was a bag for pastors and I followed Mboi and we left the pulpit area and went toward our bag. He began to mambo a bit so I joined in. I even did a bit of boogey boogey and the church broke out in laughter. I think it was the brief moon walk that really got them going. I told Mboi if I did that at home I might get fired. He laughed.

Before we went down to take the offering I asked how much money was generally given every week. He said that last week the offering for this church was 8,000 franks. That is the equivalent of about $16.00. Mind you, this is a church of 300 people. That is how poor they are. So I put 4,000 francs in the offering and another 2,000 in an offering they collected to help the sick folks of their church. Me, one person, gave this church 12 bucks and it was almost the equivalent of a whole week’s offering. I am sure you know I am not bragging as I tell you this.

The very first song these believers were singing when we arrived at the service was, “I am so glad that Jesus loves me.” Before I preached I ask the musicians to play that song again and I sang the chorus for them. They followed with the verse and then we all sang the chorus, each in our own tongue. What a treat for this white skinned pastor.

My text was Luke 15 and I explained to them that Jesus loves sinners as illustrated by the lost sheep, the lost coin and the lost son. I have to leave it up to the Lord whether or not it was effective for them and their needs. I pray it was.

After the service I had a small dinner at the pastor’s home. It was a very humble dwelling place but they were very hospitable. Our menu consisted of rice, some beef in broth and gozo which is made from the root of the manioc and a vegetable looking dish that was made from the leaf of the manioc. It wasn’t bad. Thank God for beef broth though. I think it saved me from some tastes I may not have cared for. If you think we are over here suffering through unusual meals, until now our meals have consisted of pizza, chili soup, granola at breakfast, sandwiches at lunch, soup and similar items. As I write this I am looking across the room at a large jar of some pretty good chocolate chip cookies. The only negative so far is that if we want milk we pour some water on the powder and they try and convince us that we are drinking milk!

Now for the finale. I had to speak with a sport coat on. When I was done I was absolutely drenched. The bills in my wallet were wet, my shirt was like I had just gotten out of a swimming pool, and my tie was so wet I couldn’t loosen it at the knot because the material wouldn’t budge against the other wet material. I will have to go the dry cleaners when I return. I got to the missionary residence, showered, put on shorts and am now on the computer.

I pray your Sunday went as well as mine did and more importantly, that it was a meaningful one.

Lastly, the service was at least two hours. I can’t wait to get home for the next Sunday service at La Loma Grace.

3 comments:

CMurdaugh said...

Hi Pastor Joel,

What a gift you have been given in experiencing this culture. We are praying for you as you minister and travel, we are also looking forward to seeing your "dance" when you arrive home :)

Pastor Michael said...

Thanks for sharing on Sunday... maybe now isn't a good time to tell you we decided to have a dance for the youth worship service too!.. (just kidding) glad all is well... may God bless the rest of your trip and do a work in the lives of the people there and in you.

A said...

GREAT hearing from you Pastor Joel - and thanks for including us in this ministry. I LOVE the dancing as part of the offering and think we need to implement that idea at LaLoma! What an excellent example of joyful giving!

Hurry home - and keep posting as you can. WE LOVE reading this!

Cali's mom (I have to use Cali's Gmail acct to post this!)